Networker

Re: [Networker] Saveset size KB versus MB versus GB?

2003-03-26 23:54:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Saveset size KB versus MB versus GB?
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:54:50 -0800
On March 27, 2003 at 15:11, King, Daniel wrote:
> >From what I have found,
> The save information that I get is in Kb
> So to convert I need to divide by 1024 then by 1000.
> Technically speak I should divide by 1024 then by 1024 again.
> Which goes show that the coding of the Gb figures seem to be based on a
> division of the Kb figure rather then and accurate Gb figure.
> But, since I don't have the source code, I can't tell how it gets the
> figures.
> I could be wrong though (and most probably am!)

Hi,

NetWorker does indeed calculate a megabyte as 1024 * 1000.
Gigabytes on up are multiply this value by 1024.  Why?

The answer is not anywhere close as simple as you might
imagine.  The entire gamut of arguments surrounding the re-
definition of kilo versus marketing arguments about how
various tape drive manufacturers used to calculate such
things.

In the end, defining a kilobyte as 1000 bytes and additional
values as multiples of 1024 was a compromise that made
the insanity stop.

HTH,

Byron