Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto eject for stand-alone DLT in W2K environment - v 6.1.3

2003-03-26 11:12:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto eject for stand-alone DLT in W2K environment - v 6.1.3
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:12:18 -0500
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:57:48 -0600, Day, David <david.day AT CENTERPULSE DOT

wrote:

>I recently added W2K servers (SP3) at remote sites.  Some use stand alone
>Quantum DLT8000 drives.  My experience is totally with libraries in a
>Solaris environment so I'm trying to get to speed.
>
>Poking around has not revealed a way to eject a tape at a certain time or
>completion of a group backup.  I see several *.exe files under /bin but
have
>not located the doc explaining the use of these executables.
>
>I do have the command_reference that came on my Jan2003 media kit.  Some of
>the binaries show up but not all appear (e.g., tape.exe).  I tried a query
>on Legato's knowledgebase with no results.

There is no auto-eject function built in for standalone devices, but it is
something that is fairly easy to script. The challenge on Windows is the
lack of a decent native script language, but you may be able to use Perl or
get by with batch files.

>2.  Is there a way to load and unload a tape using a Legato command?

You need to use the nsrmm command. nsrmm -l will mount a tape, nsrmm -u
will unmount, and nsrmm -j will unmount and eject. You can use
notifications to start these actions. You can create an event with the same
characteristics (savegroup alert/notice) as the savegroup completion
notification for your eject, and an alert with savegroup/info to mount a
tape at the start of a group. Alternatively you can use auto media
management to load/label tapes but I am not a big fan of this with
standalone devices.

>3.  Is there a command line option with W2K to eject a tape?  I see a GUI
>method for W2K under Removable Storage but have not found the command line
>version yet.

Stick with NetWorker commands. NetWorker will get confused if you "go over
its head" and use OS commands.