Networker

Re: [Networker] Netware client backup from a UNIX server (performance)

2003-03-25 17:55:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Netware client backup from a UNIX server (performance)
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:55:20 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Netware client backup from a UNIX server...:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the input, now I got a backup of my Novell server. However the
>throughput was extremely slow.

:-|  Welcome to the club.

We've been backing up NetWare boxes for years, and even as our hardware,
storage, and network speeds have increased, our backup times have only
gotten worse because the size of our NetWare volumes has also grown.

A couple different people have posted that Legato has recommended to them
that they split their NetWare clients into multiple clients, and not use
the "All" saveset.  Apparently there's some threshold for # of files, and
past that threshold the backup throughput drops precipitously.  I've never
been able to find out what that threshold is though, and I also am not
sure if this is caused by a problem with the NetWorker client for NetWare
or if it's caused by some deficiency in NetWare itself.  It's obvious
that huge filesystems with millions of files can take a long time to walk,
whether you're talking about UNIX or Windows or NetWare or other, but when
even full backups of NetWare volumes are an order of magnitude slower than
backups of other types of clients, it's clear that there's some other
problem.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu