Networker

Re: [Networker] Save Set Recover

2003-03-18 10:28:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save Set Recover
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:28:04 -0500
Actually, only the saveset itself will be read, not the entire tape. In
other words, if you we're trying to recover 5 files under /home, and
/home was 200 GB then saveset recover would read through the entire
/home saveset on the given tape in efforts to recover the 5 named paths,
but it will not read through more than that. So, yeah, it would read all
200 GB just to get the 5 files, but if you know what the files are
supposed to look like, and you know when you have them, you could cancel
the recover as soon as you have them, but still, it might take a while
for it to get to the location in the saveset where the files are. I have
typically not seen long wait times for NetWorker to get to the area on
the tape where the saveset itself lives, but it may be a while once it
gets there until you have the files.

George