Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media management and pools?

2003-03-10 11:25:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media management and pools?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:25:25 -0500
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, George Sinclair wrote:

> If you have auto media management turned on, how can you ensure that
> NetWorker will label the given tape into the correct pool? We used to
> use auto media management when we had just one pool, but now that we
> have two or more pools, we've gone to simply labeling new tapes as soon
> as we put them in the library. These tapes do have bar codes, but this
> way we ensure that they will be labeled into the correct pool.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to ensure that they will be labeled
> into the correct pool with media management turned on? How will
> NetWorker know?

That depends. What do you mean by "correct pool?" Here, we have the Power
Edition of NetWorker 6.1.1 running under Tru64 Unix 4.0f with two tape
librarys; one a Qualstar 412600 with 600 and the other a Compaq TZ893 that
has 263 slots. Auto media management is in use here with approx. 20 tape
pools and I usually do not have a problem. Sometimes though, I have to
relabel an empty (recycled) tape from one pool to the next if no other
tape is available to do a backup into a particular pool, but that is an
unusual situation.