Networker

Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] Drive cleaning

2003-03-10 10:40:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] Drive cleaning
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:39:15 -0500
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:23:20 +0100, Salvatore Buccoliero <sb AT EXELLO DOT DK>
wrote:

>One thing i want to add to the cleaning discussion.
>
>If NetWorker is installed on a W2k server, NetWorker can actually handle
>the cleaning signal from the device. In that case you get the best of
>two worlds: Cleaning when needed, and NetWorker knows it is happening
>and the cleaning does not disturb the running backups/restores.

I heard a rumour of this. It seems an obvious solution when you think about
it. Have you (or anyone else on the list) actually used this? Does it work?

It is almost but not quite the ideal solution. You have cleaning on demand
and the option to clean on an ad-hoc basis. You have remote visibilty of
the cleaning process and the status of the cleaning tape. The only minor
drawback is that the cleaning tape still occupies a data slot, so the
number of available slots is reduced and you still need to avoid the
cleaning tape when running inventories etc. However it is probably the best
compromise we will ever get.

Sadly (from this viewpoint) the site I am working at uses Solaris and NT4
NetWorker servers. I wonder if Legato plan to put this on other platforms,
or if it is indeed possible.