Networker

Re: [Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox

2003-03-07 18:11:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] max parallelism for a jukebox
From: "Lewis, Terry {Info~Palo Alto}" <TERRY.LEWIS AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:10:42 -0800
George,

  I'm late to this discussion, so forgive me if I'm repeating what
someone else said.  With the examples you gave, I'd expect
the first command variation -- nsrjb -IEv -S 1-6 -- to run as
many mount/load/verify/unload operations in parallel as is
specified by the max parallelism value, and I'd expect the
second variation -- nsrjb -IEv -S 1-3 -f /dev/rmt/0cbn plus
nsrjb -IEv -S 4-6 -f /dev/rmt/1cbn -- to run as if the value of
max parallelism is set to 2.  I forget the exact reason why,
but with each of my jukeboxes, max parallelism is set such
that it's 1-2 less than the total number of installed drives.  On
my ADIC Scalar 1000 with 12 drives, for example, the max
parallelism is set to 10.  Whenever I run a command covering
multiple slots, up to 10 concurrent jukebox operations may
take place to process the entered command.

Terry