Networker

Re: [Networker] SUMMARY...Kinda [Networker] aliases not working

2003-03-06 17:20:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] SUMMARY...Kinda [Networker] aliases not working
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:20:05 -0800
On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Joel Fisher wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] SUMMARY...Kinda  [Networker] aliases not working
>

> This was a client that was being migrated from another backup solution
> (Harbor), so I stopped that backup client software on one of the 3
> clients that was having this problem.  FYI, this service hasn't been a
> problem on several other clients that I've migrated.
>
> I think I might look into using the hostname and then adding aliases.
> That would be a pain to change the current 120 clients.
>
> Brings up something I'd like to check with the list on...
>
> What is the preferred naming convention that you all use when adding
> clients?  Create a new domain?  Use hostname?  Other?
>
> We use the FQDN for all clients.

Hi Joel,

I prefer to use hostname, but that is not always possible.  When I have worked
in small shops, it is pretty safe using hostnames.  But in a large environment
with multiple domains where you do not control the namespace, this will not
work.  When I was at a large company, our namespace was
host.subdomain.company.com.  I chose to name the clients host.subdomain as
that was guaranteed to provide unique client names across the entire domain.

My personal preference is to keep the client names as short as possible.

Shelley