Networker

Re: [Networker] Recommendations for AIT3 Jukebox

2003-03-06 10:59:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recommendations for AIT3 Jukebox
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:59:39 -0600
This past summer, we upgraded our Qualstar 4220 with 2 AIT-1 drives to a
Qualstar 46120 with 3 AIT-3 drives and probably a 4th to come this summer. At
the same time we upgraded out server from an Ultra 2 running Solaris 2.6 to an
E250 running Solaris 8. We are still running Networker 6.1.1 but will be
upgrading that to 6.1.3 shortly. So very similar to what you are running.

We really like the Qualstar jukeboxes, since we have had very little trouble
with them. It's deffinitely nice with the new AIT-3 drives still being able to
read the AIT-1 tapes as we keep some of our data around for up to 5 years.

When we upgraded the jukebox, we looked at others but because we were happy with
the service we were getting and comfortable with our reseller, we opted once
again for Qualstar. It also was one of the few that fell into our budget.

Just for size comparisons, we put about 600GB to tape per week from about 35-40
Solaris clients and one NetApp and it's growing.

Good luck!
Paula

>Date:    Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:56:06 -0600
>From:    Diane Prange <dprange AT SIUE DOT EDU>
>Subject: Recommendations for AIT3 Jukebox
>
>Hi,
>
>We are looking at upgrading from AIT1 tapes/drives to AIT3
>tapes/drives.  We currently have a Qualstar 4480 jukebox with 4 AIT1
>drives which would require upgrade to the boards etc.  Does anyone have
>any opinions or suggestions about Qualstar jukeboxes or other brands
>working well with NetWorker.  Should we look at other brands of
>jukeboxes while we are looking and what brands would that be.  We want
>to stick with AIT3 tapes/drives because they are backward compatible
>with all the AIT1 tapes we have already.
>
>Server:
>Sun Enterprise 250
>Solaris 8
>NetWorker 6.1.1

| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ                          Room 624 Eng.        |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |