Networker

Re: [Networker] expected lifetime for DLT media

2003-02-27 13:28:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] expected lifetime for DLT media
From: "Day, David" <david.day AT CENTERPULSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:27:56 -0600
How would you describe the feed rate to your drive?  If there are buffering
or congestion issues and your backups are shoe shining, you can expect
significant failure rates after a couple of years or repetitive use.

Our weekly database log recycles using native backup utilities were
beginning to die between two and three years but the start/stop on the
drives was very high.  However my incremental backups from my NetWorker
Solaris server were yielding much better results.  I since migrated to LTO
so never saw failures with my daily pool.

David