Networker

[Networker] Anyone using Netware NSS "Copy on Write" feature?

2003-02-24 18:59:25
Subject: [Networker] Anyone using Netware NSS "Copy on Write" feature?
From: Jason Heller <jason.heller AT HARLEY-DAVIDSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:59:23 -0500
I'd like to try the "Copy on Write" feature of Netware NSS volumes.
Has anyone used this successfully?

Copy on Write is basically an on-the-fly file-based snapshot mechanism to
provide open file support.  I was told in the past that Networker supported
this, but I can't find any actual documentation that indicates this.

I've tested it, and it doesn't seem to work.  Novell has a TID that states
that backup software must be written to specficially take advantage of it -
that is, make the correct read calls to open the snapshot version of a file
for backup reads instead of the primary file that is held open for writes
by an app.

Here's what I tested:
I have a Netare 5.1 server with an NSS volume using 4.21 networker client
backing up to a 6.1.2 Solaris server.

I create an Outlook Personal Address Book file on the NSS volume
(personal.pab).  Without copy on write enabled, I get the following error
during backup (if I keep Outlook open), no browsable entry is put in the
file index, and the file doesn't get backed up.

PERSONAL.PAB (TSA500.NLM 5.5 266) This data set is in use and cannot be
accessed at this time.

If I enable copy on write on the volume (and deactivate/reactivate the
volume) and repeat the test, I get the following, slightly different error:

PERSONAL.PAB (TSA500.NLM 5.5 313) A file cannot be read.

This time, an entry does go in the file index, I can browse to it, see the
correct file size, and attept a recover, but I get this error upon recover
and no file is actually recovered.

PERSONAL.PAB" no data saved - try an earlier version

I'm assuming I was able to backup the "meta data", but not the actual file.

I have opened up a Networker support call, but thought I'd also post here
to see if anyone else has tried this.

-Jason-