Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange Backup Issues

2003-02-13 19:29:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange Backup Issues
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:30:44 -0800
There is one trick to ease this somewhat.
In Exchange administrator, you open the window showing mailboxes only.
Then, you select View, Columns, and deselect everything but the mailbox.
Then you select File, save window contents, and it will export a complete
list of your mailboxes to a file.  You can then cut the file up to multiple
files, and run it that way.
I experimented with this a little, but never implemented it.
Probably someone that knew VB could write an applet to take care of this
nicely. (Anyone?????)

I think you can backup multiple -I input files from a single client.  Just
set each input file up as a seperate line in the single client.  Just the
same as using a single client to backup multiple file systems.

My present thoughts are to use Exmerge (from microsoft) to export all the
e-mail boxes to seperate PST files on a seperate machine, then run exmerge
every night to incrementally add to those existing PST files the emails for
that day.  I then backup the PST files using networker, but I also have the
PST files stored locally on a seperate machine for instantaneous recovery.

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics