Networker

Re: [Networker] Client based recovery

2003-02-12 16:11:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client based recovery
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:11:40 -0600
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:44:09AM -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Fred M Svensson wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your tip Stan. I really appricate it.
> >
> > I have considered saveset recover, but the problem is that there are a lot
> > of data that should be recovered then.
> > The full backup is around 300 GB, and are on weekends.. between the full
> > backup there are incr backups. They are about 160 GB each day..
>
> You're harboring the same misconception I once had about saveset recovers.
> You do not have to recover an entire saveset when you use the -S option on
> the recover command. You can pick an individual directory to restore. The
> man page for the recover command explains this, but the syntax is not
> exactly clear unless you look at it carefully.

Stan's correct, but I'll add one more footnote.  The saveset recover
will need to scan/read the entire saveset on tape, but will only
write/restore the individually selected directories.  That means you'll
only need as much restore diskspace as the directory you're filtering,
but you'll still need all the tapes that span that saveset and those
multi-gig savesets will be entirely traversed in the restore.

Dave