Networker

[Networker] Slow recovery problem

2003-02-11 12:37:33
Subject: [Networker] Slow recovery problem
From: Erik Horn <Erik_Horn AT BEAVTON.K12.OR DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:27:20 -0800
We are having intermittant problems with slow recoveries. The problem
seems to be during tape positioning at the beginning of the restore,
"Moving forward xxx files".

Normally, when networker is "Moving forward xxx files", the tape drive
reports "Seeking" and it gets to the data in less than 60 seconds.

Occasionally, when networker is "Moving forward xxx files", the tape drive
reports "Reading" and it takes more than an hour to get to the data. This
has only happened on our SDLT drive. A month ago I did a restore which
showed the problem. I tried the same restore again yesterday and it worked
fine.

Server:
Win NT, networker 6.1.1
Overland SDLT loader
Overland DLT7000 loader

Clients that have shown the problem:
WinNT, Solaris, Linux all 6.1.1.

I have contacted tech support and they told me to send them a debug file
from the client when the problem appears again. I'm hoping that another
user may have encountered the problem and found a solution.

Thanks,

Erik