Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP, SAN backups, tape libraries, etc.

2003-02-10 11:16:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP, SAN backups, tape libraries, etc.
From: Joe Moore <Joe.Moore AT SDRC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:57:33 -0500
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:04:20AM -0500, Teresa Biehler wrote:
> o Is anyone using NDMP to back up an EMC NAS?  Did NDMP work as
> advertized?  Did you have any problems?  If so, how were they resolved?
> We've got a Clariion/Celerra environment that we plan on backing up with
> NDMP.

In short: Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  We told the customer that the restores may
be a lot of work.  They turned on snapshotting.

A bit more:
We're backing up an EMC Celerra.  NDMP worked exactly as advertised, as
long as you notice in the advertisements which Networker features don't
work with NDMP.  Such as tape scanning (rebuilding index from tape),
staging, cloning, restoring from the middle of a saveset without reading
in the whole thing (this is fixed now).

We had a few problems.  The biggest one was that NDMP doesn't seem to
support accurate reporting of library operations.  This showed itself
when we had the library (robot) attached to the celerra, and tried to
load a tape.  The library would start the "tape load", report that it
was complete, and Networker would immediately try to read from the drive.
Well before the drive was ready.  We had to set the "load sleep" value to
90 seconds, which means inventorying the jukebox was incredibly slow.

--Joe