Networker

Re: [Networker] Different Retention per backup levels

2003-02-06 09:17:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Different Retention per backup levels
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:17:50 -0500
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:22:19 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Matts=20Nilsson?=
<matts_nilsson AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:

> Thought I might add my $0.02 worth... :) I agree with
>you, Davina, a way to override the browse/retention on
>group or client would be nice. If you could set
>browse/retention on the pool, then you could use
>levels in the pool definition together with
>browe/retention to accomplish the desired effect.
>
>Only question is, is it worth trying to make this an
>RFE with Legato...?

Maybe we need my friend Wes on the case?

This would only be quite a small change. The savegrp command already has the
ability to do this, since it already has the -w and -y parameters available
to set these attributes. All that is required to do this properly is to add
some attributes to the res files as part of the "NSR group" resource, and
then get savegrp to read these when it starts controlled by NetWorker.

Of course now that I think about this a bit more I recall another (better?)
way to accomplish our aim - in a way that I actually implemented several
years ago (must be losing my touch!). The first option is to run savegrp
from an external scheduler, possibly nothing more sophisticated than cron.
That way you can add command line parameters (-y and -w) to savegrp and
force all the retention and browse policies to be correct.

If you are still determined to do your group scheduling from within
NetWorker it is still possible by putting a wrapper script around the
savegrp command. To do this, you need to rename the savegrp command to
something else (savegrp.bin?) and replace it with a shell script called
savegrp. This shell script would work out the desired browse and retention
(perhaps from a lookup table based on the current day?) and translate this
into suitable values for the -w and -y parameters which it would add at this
point before calling the renamed savegrp.bin. You have to remember to remake
this change next time you upgrade NetWorker. This definitely works, I have
done it before. Mick W, if you're reading this it might sound a bit
familiar?  ;-)