Networker

Re: [Networker] save set names with embedded blanks?

2003-02-04 15:28:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] save set names with embedded blanks?
From: Julia Byrnes <JByrnes AT PHN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:27:53 -0800
>now that I look at this some more it seems that it is only
>backing up folders with names of 8 characters or less. at least that is
>the case with 27 out of 150+ that it has done so far. the "Cannot stat"
>messages have all rolled off the screen so I have nothing to compare
>against. I've been starting these savegrps from the command line. is
>there anything sacred about 8 characters or shorter in NetWare?

My thought is that it is a throwback to DOS but I don't really know.  I just
setup my automatic backups to have the appropriate 8 character names and
then didn't really worry about it after that.  Mind you I did do larger
groupings of directories.  I had two volumes and under the one volume I had
3 main directories so I just specified each of those.  On special backups I
would drill down more.  My largest volume was 200GB NFS Netware 5.

Julia

The information contained in this electronic message is for the exclusive
and confidential use of the addressee.  Any other distribution, use,
reproduction or alteration of the information contained in this electronic
message, by the addressee or by any other recipient, without the prior
written consent of Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management Ltd. is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender.