Networker

[Networker]

2003-02-04 12:16:21
Subject: [Networker]
From: "Bill Hewitt (cst)" <bill AT COGSCI.ED.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:15:21 GMT
Thanks!

This makes sense, but why don't the indexes get backed up when the server next
gets backed up ?
I have another group/pool that has several clients, none of which is the server
and that seems happy. Why is a group/pool with 1 client different ?

^# Hi there!
^#
^# Client indexes are stored on the NetWorker server.  When the
^# group completes and the indexes are stored, a save is started
^# on the server, which backs up the indexes.  The client
^# for the index save is the server, because that is where the
^# data is coming from, not the client from the regular backup.
^#
^# I don't know how to direct a particular client's index
^# to a different pool from the rest.  I'm afraid you will
^# have to research this yourself, or perhaps someone else
^# will have an answer.
^#
^# There has been a lot of discussion on the subject of
^# indexes and pools over the years.  Searching the archives
^# might help.  Note that if your goal is completely isolating
^# client index data on particular tapes, you will need to
^# figure out how to exclude that clients index from the
^# regular server backup and bootstrap.  Such a scheme will
^# make disasster recovery very difficult, though.
^#
^# Byron
^#

Beware of the flowers, coz I'm sure they're gonna get you; yeh - Otway

Bill Hewitt                  || Computing Support Team
School of Informatics        || EMAIL : Bill.Hewitt AT ed.ac DOT uk
University of Edinburgh      || OR    : bill AT inf.ed.ac DOT uk
2 Buccleuch Place            || VOICE : +44 (0131) 650 4429
Edinburgh EH8 9LW            || FAX   : +44 (0131) 650 4587