Networker

Re: [Networker] How to order tapes

2003-02-04 11:10:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to order tapes
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRONTEXACO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:10:34 -0000
Ciprian,
        Assuming that all the tapes are in the same pool, networker
should go for the oldest eligible tape.
For instance, if you put three tapes in your jukebox and labelled then
tape01 tape02 tapeo3 in that order, Networker should use them in that
order. I'f you labelled tape02 before tape01, then tape02 would get used
before tape01. Making sense so far?

Of course, that is really only good for the initial run through the
tapes, things like failed backups will extend the life of already saved
data (Metworker will not recycle data if another backup depends on it).
For instance, if you did a full backup on a weekend and incremental
backups during the rest of the week with a browse and retention of 4
weeks. If the full backup fails for any reason, there will be two weeks
worth of incremental backups depending on the previous good backup.

The long and short of this is that, unless you have the luxury of having
many more tapes than the rotation requires, your tapes are going to get
out of step.

Become a fan of the mminfo command and you needn't worry about tapes not
being used in sequence.

By the way, as pointed out in an earlier posting, these comments are
based on my observations

Regards
Bob