Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up individual Exchange mailboxes, was RE: [Networker] Odd error message regarding a saveset?

2003-02-02 10:42:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up individual Exchange mailboxes, was RE: [Networker] Odd error message regarding a saveset?
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT WILDFIRE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:40:02 -0500
We went though this at my place during our migration from Lotus Notes.

Keep in mind, we only have about 150 Mailboxes.

It was explained to me by Legato Tech support that backing up everyone's
mailbox via the MB saveset would put a tremendous strain on the server.
It would be like taking each mailbox and converting it to a PST file.

A solution we came up with was to backup the mailboxes via MB of the
people we knew were going to be problematic about their email (which was
everyone BTW).  So our Policy is to do MB backups of Execs and AA's.

Are you doing lots of exchange restores???  If so, maybe you should look
into extending the retention of the Universal Bit Bucket.  If someone
here deletes a message, we can go back 14 days to get it before it's
permanently removed from the system.

Just a thought.

Paul C.

Paul Crossman @ Wildfire Communications, Inc.