Networker

Re: [Networker] W2K Client Problems savepnpc tmp file exists

2003-01-21 10:07:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] W2K Client Problems savepnpc tmp file exists
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:07:36 -0500
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:21:47 -0500, Robert Maiello
<robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM> wrote:

>Thanks... for unix I don't think there was any fixed savepnpc; I think
>we need to upgrade to 6.1.3...then again, the error message may still
>be there ..ie. "Working as designed".

I think for savepnpc we need to define levels of brokenness. 6.1.2 and 6.1.3
are not completely broken. They display some baffling messages but they
still do the job as designed. It seems that according to Andre 6.2 is REALLY
broken - i.e. doesn't even do the backup properly in any circumstances. I
think the hotfix to 6.2 simply takes savepnpc back to the "not completely
broken" state.

There never has been a savepnpc that totally works. Every release so far
suffers from the problem if the tmp file already exists before the backup.
The only way to get a totally working version is to use the savefixpnpc
workaround or to use a mythical future version.

I wish I was charging money for savefixpnpc....