Networker

Re: [Networker] incompatibilities between different Networker versions

2003-01-07 19:01:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] incompatibilities between different Networker versions
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:59:15 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] incompatibilities between different Networker...:

>> in the meanwhile the workaround is to stop using DNS
>>and put static hosts files on all 140+ clients! I'm not sure whether
>>to laugh or cry.
>Well I don't know your issue here, but I have never seen a case where hosts
>files were the only solution.

I think that if you restrict your comments to the UNIX environment,
everything you've said is true Davina.  I like NetWorker a lot, I think
that for UNIX platforms it's a good product, and I think that it's better
than the other enterprise backup packages I've seen.

I, however, *have* seen a situation involving a dual-homed UNIX networker
server and multiple dual-homed NetWare boxes where the only solution to
a problem we're facing is "spoofing" hostname resolution by adding entries
to the /etc/hosts on the server and the equivalent on the NetWare clients.
This is not a DNS problem -- the DNS for our server farm is well
maintained and has been for years.

> I wish I was lucky enough to be able to say that this is
>>my last year using Networker, but that would involve somebody
>>admitting they'd made a mistake. sigh.
>That's if they have made a mistake. Sure there are competing products (not
>many in this class though) but each of them comes with its own selection of
>bugs and issues, perhaps different to the ones in NetWorker, but equally
>troublesome and annoying. NetWorker IS a mature product these days,

I agree with this, for all platforms that Legato says NetWorker supports,
except NetWare.  While NetWorker for NetWare has certainly improved since
the 4.15 client, it's still not very robust on NetWare.

> and the
>problems with current versions are minor compared to some that have gone in
>the past. However, fixing bugs is an iterative process and you cannot see
>the benefit unless you install the versions containing the fixes. All
>software products are like this.

I'm on your side on this issue and do think NetWorker is a good product
and has gotten noticeably better in just the last three UNIX
point-releases.  As the primary "backup" administrator, I wouldn't even
consider changing to something else for our UNIX and Windows clients.
I only wish the NetWare client would improve to the point where it's
as reliable as the UNIX and windows clients are.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu