Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?

2002-12-31 17:37:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:37:10 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?, George Sinclair said...:

>Does anyone know anything about the /etc/stinit.def file under Linux?
>We're running a storage node (6.1.1) on a Red Hat Linux box (Red Hat
>7.3). This host is managing an LTO tape library from Storagetek. I don't
>see such a file under /etc, but in re-reading the installation guide for
>6.1 Linux, I see the following under chapter 3:
>
>Important: You must configure devices as variable-blocksize devices for
>NetWorker compatibility. To ensure that the devices are variable
>blocksize, edit
>their definitions in the /etc/stinit.def file. See ?Appendix A: Sample
>stinit.def File? for a
>sample stinit.def file to use as a guide.
>
>Our primary server is running 6.1.1 under Solaris, BUT because our
>storage node is running under Linux, perhaps we SHOULD have such a file?
>If so, what entry would be appropriate for a Storagetek L80 with 4 LTO
>Ultrium drives? I checked the appendix A, but I don't see an example for
>an LTO entry. Any ideas what such an entry should look like?

I asked Legato last week for an stinit.def for DLT7000 and SuperDLT1.
Their support person pointed me to one on the net for various Quantum
drives that my Google search had failed to turn up.  I suggest you open
a call, and ask them for an entry.

<soapbox>
I think it's rather unfortunate that Legato's example entries for the
stinit.def are all for antiquated drives.  There isn't anything newer in
there than an Exabyte 8505, as I recall.

What I think is more unfortunate is that Legato does not officially
support or suggest any particular entries for stinit.def.  The tech
person told me that, and when I asked why they didn't have recommended
entries for Linux's stinit.def while they do have recommended entries
for Solaris' st.conf and Tru64's ddr.dbase, he didn't have a good answer.
</soapbox>

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu