Networker

[Networker] New Question about Hard Drive stageing

2002-12-23 15:24:40
Subject: [Networker] New Question about Hard Drive stageing
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:24:41 -0800
I have been using stageing (to hard drive) for about 3 months, and I only
have one problem with networker (6.1.1) at this point:
1. When the hard drive gets full, Networker marks it as full, and read only.
2. When the Staging process runs, it deletes save sets from the hard drive,
but it never marks the hard drive as appendable!
3. After all of the hard drives have filled up the first time, they stop
working even if they are empty.

There are three solutions to this.
1. Something in Networker that I haven't found (I don't think so)
2. Never let the hard drives fill up completely (impractical)
3. Run a cron job once an hour to unmount the hard drives, mark them as
appendable, and re-mount them.

#3 is what I do manually every day in the GUI, but I would be happy with any
answer to this issue.

The best solution (by legato) would be for them to append the command line
code to mark the hard drives as appendable at the end of the staging "Clean
up" process that removes the old save sets from the hard drives, but at
least on 6.1.1, it doesn't do this...... (Legato are you listening?)

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator