Networker

[Networker] Diaster Recovery

2002-12-20 12:03:14
Subject: [Networker] Diaster Recovery
From: vms unix <vms_or_unix AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:53:10 -0800
I was referred to this group from another group. I'm not using Networker but I'm
using a software similar (Netvault). Good newsgroup devoted to Backups are hard
come by so I will only ONLY post this type of message once since it is beyond
the
scope of this newsgroup.

I'm in the process of implementing Diaster Recovery of the OS for my Tru64
servers.
My backup software and tape drive is installed on a Windows 2000 and my clients
are
unix machines.
I have done Disaster recovery from a UNIX backup server but never from a windows
server. What I have done in the past is, for DR, I usually use dumps,
vrestores, and
mt to  restore my system (not using the backup software). However, by having a
Windows Backup server with the tape drive connected to it, I cannot use the rsh
from the unix machine in order to to get to my dump files. Can somebody share
tips
on DR with a tape drive connected to a windows machine trying to restore a UNIX
box,
preferrable using mt commands and other utilities? If you know of a better way,
let
me know.

Vishu