Networker

Re: [Networker] NCR Teradata Warehouse ???

2002-12-19 10:57:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] NCR Teradata Warehouse ???
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:53:18 -0500
The Teradata web site has some information on backups.

First,
http://www.info.ncr.com/Teradata/eTeradata-BrowseBy.cfm?page=Teradata%20Clie
nt has a section called 'Open Teradata Backup', which shows a number of
documents going back several years that talk about integrations with
NetBackup and, more recently, BakBone NetVault.  From what I've heard,
Teradata's backup solution is NetVault.

That said, I did find a manual called "Teradata® Warehouse Operations
Reference Guide"*  which discusses backups and restores in Chapter 6.  But
these just mention that tasks involved at a very high level, and give no
detail.

The real meat appears to be in "Teradata® Archive/Recovery Utility
Reference".  P. 26 states, "Data is archived to tape.".  You might want to
see if it can be written to disk; if so, you could have NetWorker back up
these files.  Then again, if you do this (Teradata archive to disk, then
NetWorker backups to tape/disk), you are essentially moving the data twice
on both backups and restores.  If you have lots of data, that would not be
practical.

What you really need is for NetWorker to support integration with Teradata,
obviously.

Hope this helps.
tl

*Path to the document: