Networker

Re: [Networker] how to avoid typing a long list of filesystem names into a client definition

2002-12-18 11:19:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to avoid typing a long list of filesystem names into a client definition
From: Jim McAlarney <JMcAlarney AT HUBER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:20:44 -0500
I do something similar on our AIX machines.

I have one client defined to backup ALL filesystems so I can do weekly
fulls with nightly incrementals.  I have a second client that explicitly
backs up my Oracle directories so that I can do fulls every night.  The
directories that contain the Oracle subdirectories have .nsr files in
them that skip the Oracle subdirectories.  If a filesystem is added, the
first client will back it up.  If it really needs to be part of the
second client, I add the .nsr file so the first client will skip it and
then add it to the second client definition.

You'll still have to do a bunch of typing for the second client, but
the first one is easy.

>From:  Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM>
>Date:  12/17/02 12:54PM
>Subject:       how to avoid typing a long list of filesystem names into
a client definition

>Hi, All
>
>I have an AIX client with about 80 some odd filesystems mounted on
it.
>I would like to define 2 clients pointing at this machine, one to
backup
>a certain group of filesystems and another to backup all filesystems
>other than that group. is there any way to specify this with
wildcards
>or regular expressions so as to avoid a lot of power typing. I can
>select the names of the "group" in a UNIX shell command with "echo
>/e[0-9]*", the names being numbered /e28 through /e64. is there any
>easier way than typing in a list of names. not only would that be
>tedious but it's also error prone. if somebody adds new filesystems
they
>wouldn't be backed up unless they remembered to tell me.
>
>Jim Lane
>Sr. Technical Consultant
>Network Services
>Toronto Hydro
>office: (416)-542-2820
>cell: (416)-896-8576

---
Jim McAlarney                                         Huber Engineered
Materials
phone:  404-949-5505                              4401 Northside
Parkway
fax:       404-949-1305                              Suite 600
jmcalarney AT huber DOT com                            Atlanta, GA  30327