Networker

Re: [Networker] SuperDLT 320 drive: what writing speed are you se eing?

2002-12-11 10:41:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] SuperDLT 320 drive: what writing speed are you se eing?
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:41:11 -0500
Hi Zaigui

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm going to assume that
there is some thing in your environment, other than the tape drive, that is
limiting your backup speed.  Unfortunately, most backups environments have
MANY places that could limit performance (CPU, I/O bus, disk, tape,
filesystem, network, etc.).  Isolating which one is the current limiting
factor can be a challenge

The "Legato NetWorker® Power Edition(tm) Performance Tuning Guide"
(http://web1.legato.com/infodev/publications/NetWorker/perftun/5.5.1/cd_docs
/perftune.pdf) has good suggestions on performance in general, and how to
test certain components in particular.  See "How to Test the Write Speed of
a Single Tape Drive" in the UNIX chapter, if you have a UNIX host connected
to your new tape drives.  Or, see the Windows chapter for similar
suggestions.

Please let us know what happens.

Thanks!
tl