Networker

[Networker] FW: NDMP and Directives not working

2002-12-10 05:27:57
Subject: [Networker] FW: NDMP and Directives not working
From: "Vale, Russell" <Russell.Vale AT MESSIER-DOWTY DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:26:03 -0000
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has given me further details on the limitation of
Legato directives and NDMP.

Looks like I will have to reorganise my file structure and go for backing up
/vol/vol0/data1 as one client, vol/vol0/data2 as a second client etc etc.
This should work fine hopefully.

I submitted this same query to Legato tech support and they were very quick
at coming back with a response. They confirm everyones suspicions and say
that it might be fixed in the future.

Their answer was.....

>  It is not possible to use NetWorker directives taking influence
>  on what files or directories are backed up on a NetApp Filer.
>  The reason for this is, that it is not NetWorker who is backing
>  up the files/directories and who therefore might have control
>  over the backup. What really happens is, that the NetApp Filer
>  itself is doing the backup using its own dump utility. This one
>  will of course not recognize any NetWorker directives.
>  This is different to the backup of a 'normal' unix client, where
>  the NetWorker save/savefs utilities control what is backed up.
>
>  Nevertheless there already has been filed an RFE (Request
>  for Enhancement) with Legato documenting this desired feature,
>  which may (or may not) be realized in future NetWorker versions.
>  The reference number for this is LGTpa35204.

Regards

Russell