Networker

[Networker] NDMP and Directives not working

2002-12-09 11:43:45
Subject: [Networker] NDMP and Directives not working
From: "Vale, Russell" <Russell.Vale AT MESSIER-DOWTY DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:31:56 -0000
Hi,

I am running networker v6.1.1. build 238 on Sun Solaris. We are doing NDMP
backups to a Netapps Filer which has a Storagetek L180 jukebox SCSI attached
to it with 4 internal DLT 8000's. Backups are going fine so far. At the
moment we are backing up all the data as 1 client job - it takes 12-13
hours.

We would like to be able to split it into smaller chunks so we can backup
two streams/clients to 2 DLT's at the same time. Each chunk is about
150-200Gb in size so potentially we will be able to reduce the backup window
to 7-8 hours hopefully.

We have two clients set up. One should back up /vol/vol0/tech1-data  and the
other one should backup /vol/vol0. This 2nd client has a directive set that
skips all files and sub-directories under /vol/vol0/tech1-data.

What actually happens is that the first backup backs up about 200Gb as we
expect it to. The 2nd client backs up the whole of /vol/vol0 including the
/vol/vol0/tech1-data area we have asked it to exclude. This means we are
backing up an extra 150Gb we don't need to and the backups are running for
longer than we want them to.

I am using directives to exclude directories on the actual Sun server and
they work OK so I know I have the syntax correct.

I have setup a seperate test client with some smaller directories/files and
the problem with directives is replicated. I have also tried using .nsr
files with a skip exclusion and this doesn't work either.

Is there something special I need to do because the client is an NDMP
device. I was wondering that because the Netapps Filer does a snapshot when
it starts running the backup the directive is failing because the actual
path being backed up is something like /vol/vol0/.snapshot-for-backup.396

Any suggestions you have would be great. I'm quickly running out of ideas to
fix this problem.

Thanks

Russell Vale
russell.vale AT messier-dowty DOT org