Networker

[Networker] Use of directives with an SQL module

2002-11-25 13:16:20
Subject: [Networker] Use of directives with an SQL module
From: "Tsiamis, Panagiotis" <TsiamisP AT UNISYSTEMS DOT GR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:16:04 +0200
Hello all,
We're running Networker 6.1.1 in a Win2K server with MSSQL Server 2K,
coupled with the SQL module v.3.1.
Do you know if it is possible to use directives to skip backing up a few
databases?

My problem is this:
The application running on the SQL server, daily creates a database with a
name in the form of
"Historic<date>",
which is kept for 5 days and then is droped.
We would like to backup these dbs daily and keep then for a period of three
weeks.
Since the name of the savesets is changing everyday, my first guess was to
create a directive to skip all the database with a constand name ( the
system dbs, and some other static ones - I even used wildcards for those!).
So I created the following from the Admin gui:

<< "MSSQL:" >>
skip: Middle*
skip: master
skip: tempdb
... etc.

...well, this didn't work and ended up backing up 30GB instead of 6GB!

Has anyone of you encountered some similar situation, or have any ideas how
to tackle this situation?
I've found no reference of any sort in the manuals, and I'm wodering if this
is possible at all?

Thanks in advance

Panos