Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker on tru64

2002-11-15 11:30:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker on tru64
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:17:11 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker on  tru64, Stan Horwitz said (at...:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Richard Hoare wrote:
>
>> Can someone answer whether by default Networker with tru64 ignores the
>> /tmp folder on a full backup.
>>
>> Is this folder part of the systems swap file?
>
>Yes, and no. The default behavior depends on how you set up each
>particular Tru64 Unix client entry. In the client window within nwadmin,
>there's a menu of directives options. For example, there is a directive
>item that says "netware with compression" and "netware without compession"
>or something along those lines. There's also a directives option that says
>"unix with compression" and another that says "unix without compression".
>The Unix directive (with or without compression) includes skip statements
>to avoid backing up the /tmp directory and some other items.

NetWorker doesn't have any directives for skipping
/cluster/members/{memb}/tmp, though, so at 5.x, you're likely getting /tmp
(which is just a symlink to the cluster member directory) backed up
whether you know it or not.

>Think carefully about using this option though. I got burned by it on one
>Tru64 Unix client a couple of years ago. One of the skip directives causes
>the core dump files not to be backed up. This sounds fine, however, we had
>a user create a directory full of html files. This directory was called
>"core". Much to our chagrin (and the user's), none of the user's files was
>recovered after that system's disk crashed. That user was not a happy
>customer!

:-)  We got bit by this as well.  The `SAS' package happens to have a
directory of important files named `core', and we never realized until
after a disk problem that NetWorker wasn't backing them up because of the
name.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu