Networker

Re: [Networker] Quick question on File System Devices for staging

2002-11-15 05:07:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quick question on File System Devices for staging
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 05:07:43 -0500
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:03:34 -0500, Joel Fisher <jfisher AT WFUBMC DOT EDU>
wrote:

>I would like to get around the odd limitation of not being able to stage
>savesets to tape while the File System device has an incoming saveset
>stream.  Is there any reason not to have multiple directories setup as
>FS devices under one physical device?
>
>For Example:
>
>/dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2 is mounted on /fsdevices
>3 directories call:
>/fsdevices/fd00
>/fsdevices/fd01
>/fsdevices/fd02
>
>FS devices setup pointing to the above 3 directories.
>
>Would this allow me to start staging savesets on FS device fd00 and fd01
>even if data is still being written to fd02?

Yes you can do this. You can set the maximum size of each file device by
configuring the "Volume default capacity" field of the device before
labelling it. So you can set the capacity of each device to slightly over
one third of the file system size so as to fully utilise the filesystem's
capacity. If all three devices become full the third one will fill at a
slightly lower capacity due to the filesystem becoming full.

>Any known gotchas in this configuration?
No, it just works.