Networker

[Networker] save -e or save -y?

2002-11-14 12:00:18
Subject: [Networker] save -e or save -y?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:00:20 -0500
Can anyone fill in the gaps on my understanding of the '-y' and '-e' options
to the save command please?

The way I understand it it as follows:

save -e existed at NW 5.x. It filled in a field in the media database that
otherwise was left undefined. It also had the side effect of forcing the
browse policy to be the same as the retention policy, not always desirable.

At NW 6.0.x the retention field in the media database was used for all save
sets, and a new field was added for the browse time. The '-w' parameter was
added to the save command for the browse time. At this time the '-w'
parameter was NOT added to the savegrp command.

At NW 6.1.x a new parameter was added, this is the '-y' parameter, described
as the retention of the save set. I can't see what the difference between
the '-e' and '-y' parameters would be. This is the bit I don't understand,
and I wondered if anyone has figured this out.

It is also refreshing to note that at NW 6.1 or 6.1.1 the '-y' and '-w'
parameters were added to the savegrp command, making this consistent and
much easier to use.

So, does anyone have an explanation? Should I use '-e' or '-y'?