Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT 220's

2002-11-10 20:45:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT 220's
From: Ryan Tassotti <LSS5 AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:44:20 +1000
Don't know if this is relevant, new driver from Compaq.  Seems to only mention
DLT7000 and 8000 driver, but eh.

―-----------------
SoftPaq Number: SP19781 Supercedes: SP19705
Version: 1.5.0.0 Language: English  Release Date: 6/25/2002
2000 driver for DLT/SDLT Tape Class Devices.

Enhancements/Fixes: Added support for SuperDLT160/320. Includes driver
signatures. Includes fix for erroneous cleaning lights when using Legato
Networker with dlt8000 and dlt7000 drives.
―-----------------

Cheers,
Ryan.

>>> k0s5 AT YAHOO DOT COM 11/08/02 08:59pm >>>
Hi all,

We are using ATL P series library with SDLT220.
Few months back, ATL recommend to disable the cleaning feature on the drive.
Prior to this, we saw some medias stuck on the drive.
It improves after disabling the cleaning feature.

To do so, you need direct connection to the drive (SCSI) and use the
utility for quantum.
Contact your SDLT supplier to get the software.

cheers - han

At 11/8/2002 09:02 AM, John Herlihy wrote:
>Hi Jeff,
>
>you've just described the problems we've been dealing with for a long time
>now. We just found out (the hard way) that there were problems with early
>releases of the SDLT drive... not just firmware, but hardware as well.
>
>The problem is partially related to how the alignment fields were initially
>written to the tape when it was first loaded into an SDLT drive. These
>alignment fields could previously only be erased by degaussing the tape, but
>Quantum have now created a utility which uses v55 SDLT firmware to manually
>erase & overwrite these alignment fields. This problem wasn't initially
>fixed until around v40 SDLT220 firmware was released, but v46 seems to be
>the most stable so far.
>
>We have tried this utility on a collection of tapes that would typically
>take 15 mins to come online (ie for the green light to stop flashing upon
>
>As for the hardware-side of the problem - note down the serial # & model #
>of your SDLT drives (if your library contains the SDLT drives in sleds,
>you'll have to open the sleds up to get this info). Drives before model #
>B02 should be replaced (we were using A03 & B01 drives).
>
>You should be able to tell which tapes need to have their alignment fields
>re-written by loading them into a >B02 drive with v46 f/w, and if the green
>light doesn't stop flashing within 20 secs, it is faulty.
>
>Good luck!
>John

cheers - han

The following message has been received from the Internet.
Please use with caution the message content and attachments

This mail has passed through an insecure network.
All enquires should be directed to the message author.