Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker not scheduling some groups/clients

2002-11-08 18:26:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker not scheduling some groups/clients
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:25:57 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Networker not scheduling some groups/clients,...:

>After some careful checking, we have recently discovered that Legato is
>not scheduling some groups/clients for backups.  There is no trace that
>it even tries - not even the "starting group_name (with 1 client(s))"
>message in the /nsr/logs/messages file.  No emails - good, bad or
>indifferent (this is bad because we have relied on the emails to detect
>what failed).  If you look at the gui (nwadmin> group control screen), it
>plainly shows that the last run was 2 days prior - not the previous
>night's date as it should be.

If it's the case that it's not even trying the group, my guess is that
it has nothing to do with the client indexes.

If you fire up the GUI and select

        Customize->Groups

and then find one of the groups in question, and do

        View->Details

what is the "Interval" set at?  Is is 24:00, i.e. 24 hours?

>Within the past week, we have noticed 6 different groups/clients that
>were not scheduled for processing over 4 different days (1 or 2 per day).
>Other backups are active at the time the group/client was "scheduled" to
>start.  The group/client that was not scheduled appears to be random.  I
>can not recognize a pattern yet for which client or which day that it
>will "not schedule" something.  So far, the "missed" clients complete
>successfully the following night.

This may have changed in recent versions of NetWorker and I'm just not
aware of it, but in the past Legato has always recommended that you try
to avoid having multiple groups running at the same time.  Your
environment seems to rely heavily on that -- while most sites have a few
large groups, your site does the exact opposite.  Depending on how many
groups you get going at once, you may be crossing some threshold in
NetWorker, from the "running N groups at once is not supported (but
generally works) to "running N+1 groups at once is not supported, and
probably won't work".

Again, that's speculation, but it would be the first thing I would
consider.

You must have some reason for having 1 client per group, but having
multiple groups running at the same time may be what's biting you.

The other thing I would suspect, if a client is not backing up when you
think it should, is the schedule itself.  I doubt that's the issue in
this case, though, since you're not even getting "savegrp" messages.

If you can catch this when it happens (.e.g. 3:10 am some group should
have fired off, but it didn't), you could try running `savegrp' yourself,
and seeing if it runs to completion.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu