Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?

2002-11-08 06:37:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging in Networker?
From: Calvin Thomas <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 03:37:10 -0800
I actually tried this when I was testing (accidently). I set up a file
device on a 60GB partition, and then added another hard drive to the
partition using ADVFS.  This upped the partition size to 96GB's and I tried
to tell the file device that it was now 96GB's in size.  Unfortunately, when
the nightly backup hit 30GB's (50% of the original size) the backup stopped,
and staging started..  Right in the middle of my "must not fail" backup job.
Ouch!
When I added a second file device in the same partition (in a subdirectory),
it worked correctly

I should remark that I use a 50% high water mark in the staging policy

The reason I don't want to fool networker with multiple file devices on the
same partition is the staging.  When would staging start if I used 5 file
devices on a single 175GB?  Would it use 925GBs to calculate the high and
low water marks.?  What would it do if I added, or removed a hard drive, and
shrank or grew the partition?  I don't even want to guess....
I prefer to use the single file / partition for simplicity, and reliability.
The staging is actually smarter than I thought it was because it uses the
total size of all the file devices that are included in the staging policy.
This means that it waits until 2 1/2 partitions are full before it starts
staging, not at 50% of one file device. Since it's working, "I don't need to
fix it".

Thanks
Calvin E. Thomas
UNIX System Administrator