Networker

[Networker] Is ANYONE useing a Compaq TSL9000 Jukebox successfully?

2002-10-30 04:31:02
Subject: [Networker] Is ANYONE useing a Compaq TSL9000 Jukebox successfully?
From: Calvin Thomas <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:36:24 -0800
I logged a support call to Legato, and after a few elementary attempts to
make this work informed me that "The compaq TSL9000 is not listed in our
compatibility guide".  When I replied that the Compaq TSL9000 was a Sony
TSL9000, the above message was repeated to me again.
Very dissatisfying.

The hardware and software.

Tru64 Alpha Networker 6.1.1 server.
Compaq Proliant 1850 2 processor W2K, 6.1.1 Storage Node
Compaq 8 slot 4mm 12/24GB TSL9000 jukebox.
All hardware works fine.  The TSL9000 Jukebox works fine using ArcServit
6.1, and ArcServit 2000.

The problem with the jukebox in Networker is this.
The networker setup and installation (jbconfig) all work fine. However, the
robotics don't work when you attempt to label the tapes.

1. Storage node says "labeling", server says "labeling" and the jukebox is
indeed labeling tape 1.
2. After tape 1, everything falls apart.  Storage node says "verifying",
server says ejecting, then tape ejected, then ejecting, then tape ejected 4
or 5 times. The jukebox appears to cycle through the other 7 tapes in the
jukebox.
3. After about 3-4 tapes ejecting the storage node times out and says "Drive
busy".

You can label all the tapes if you label them one tape at a time, and wait
for the tape scans to finish to label the next tape. Takes about an hour to
label all 7 tapes.
The tape drive works fine.  Write, and read all work.
Its just the robotics.
I have removed, and reinstalled the storage node 4 times.  When I
reinstalled ArcServit 2000, the jukebox works fine with it.
My guess is the microcode in the jukebox is not quite compatible with
Networker.
Any thought?

Thanks in advance.
Calvin E. Thomas