Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux Networker Server

2002-10-30 02:09:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux Networker Server
From: agascoyn <agascoyn AT ESO DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:06:34 +0100
Hi

Pretty much agree with all thats been said here already, but I can help
clear up a couple of bits.

Running Solstice Backup, will not cause you any problems with regards to
Legato Licences.

I currently run Solstice Backup and have a mixture of both Legato
Licences and Sun Solstice Licences.

If you do change your hostid and hostname you will have to complete an
affadavit from Sun Licencing for each set of platform paks and licence
paks that you have.

Conatct Sun Licenceing (They are surprisingly helpfull on this).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Andrew

Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: [Networker] Linux Networker Server, Engle, Vic said (at...:

We want to consider migrating our networker server to Linux and I wondered
if anyone on the list could share their experiences in this area. I am of
course interested in learning how or if my Solstice Backup licenses would be
transferable and also if it is possible to move the client file indexes and
media database from Solaris to Linux.

The current environment is Sun E250 with Solaris 2.6 and Networker/SBU
6.1.2.

I haven't seen much in the way of responses to this, so I will respond
quickly, and give vague answers.  :-)

What you're trying to do is possible, and we're going to be doing the same
thing at our site in the next month, though we're converting from
NetWorker on Tru64 UNIX to Linux.

Some notes:

1) Last time I checked, RedHat 7.3 was not officially supported by Legato
NetWorker.  As of 6.1.2, RedHat 7.2 is the most recent version that's
listed as supported.  ext3 is also not listed as supported by NetWorker
for backups (in other words no clients with ext3 filesystems would be
supported, including the NetWorker server).  Our experience is that ext3
backs up just fine, and we're going to install 7.3 on our Linux backup
server and use ext3.  I don't expect any problems with that.

2) Your Solstice licenses are very likely *not* compatible with Legato
NetWorker, but I've never run a Solstice Backup server, so I really don't
know for certain.  I do know that we used to run DEC/Compaq's customized
version of NetWorker and the licenses there were not compatible with
Legato's licenses.  You'll need to do some work with Legato to see if
they'll give you a deal to convert licenses to their format.  Prepare to
pay.  ;-)

3) Linux on Intel is a ILP32, little-endian system.  Sun Solaris 2.6 on an
E250 is also ILP32 (the hardware is capable of LP64), but it's big-endian.
As of NetWorker 6.x, many *BUT NOT ALL* database files are endian-neutral.
IIRC, the client indexes are completely ambivalent to the endianess of
the platform, but the media index is still endian specific.

Because of the difference in endianess, what you will need to do is
perform the equivalent of a disaster recovery to move stuff to your new
server:

0) install the 6.1.2 version of NetWorker on your Linux box

1) (not strictly necessary, but recommended) use nsrck to check and
compress all client indexes, and to check the media database.

2) (not strictly necessary, but very very helpful) do a full backup of
your Solaris backup server using Solstice Backup.

3) hook up your tape devices and/or jukebox to your Linux box.

4) Use mmrecov to recover the media database from tape.  This will do
the necessary platform conversion for you.

5) Since you've recovered the `nsr.res' and possibly the `nsrjb.res' files
using mmrecov and you likely want to copy them into place over the
existing res files, you'll need to shutdown networker and copy them into
place.  The problem is that Linux will use different device names for your
tape and jukebox devices than Solaris did, so once the res files are in
place you'll have problems with NetWorker trying to access the wrong
devices.  You'll need to get NetWorker started up and then delete your
jukebox and tape devices, and then re-run jbconfig to set up the new
device names and finally inventory your jukebox so NetWorker knows what
tapes are available.

6) Use `nsrck -L7 clientname' to recover the client indexes for each
client.  Because the client indexes are (I think) endian-neutral at
NetWorker 6.x, you might be able to get away with just copying (using
a method that preserves database files, such as the appropriate NetWorker
asm or GNU tar) the client indexes from your Sun box to your Linux box,
but I would probably do the client index recovery just to be sure.

7) if your hostname is changing, you're going to need to deal with that.
See the Legato TechDialog's on how to change the server hostname.

That's the 10,000 foot overview.  HTH

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

Andrew Gascoyne
Unix Administrator
European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2