Networker

Re: [Networker] ADIC's Scalar 1000 tape library - your experience s??

2002-10-29 16:59:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] ADIC's Scalar 1000 tape library - your experience s??
From: Cyndi Smith <Cyndi.Smith AT ASPENTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:59:36 -0600
Fancy you should ask now...

We have some Scalar 458 units. They are rather long in the tooth, but the
company finances do not allow for capital expenditures right now. So we have
a support contract (for 5x9, next day service).  On October 17, I called for
service since the picker kept "hanging" during automated backups. It would
have a tape in it, but not be able to put it in the correct slot.  They
FedExed a new (refurbished) picker and sent one of their local contract
techs (he actually works for NCR -- the cash register people) to replace it.
That did not fix it, so they thought maybe the new picker was also bad or
maybe a motor, so they sent another picker and a motor to arrive on Monday.
That did not fix it, so they sent "alignment tools" for Tuesday (in my
opinion, they should send alignment tools anytime they send out a picker
since they almost always need aligning after replacement). That did not fix
it, so they sent a completely "new" (refurbished) library that arrived on
Wednesday.  That library was DOA (dead on arrival) but they did not decide
that until too late to send another "new" one on Wednesday.  So we got the
second "new" library on Friday. It mostly worked, although 1 of the 4 drives
has a problem that became obvious during the backups Friday night (it can't
seem to read a tape).  So that drive is being replaced now.  To sum it up,
it is almost 2 weeks since I called in for "next day" service and I MAY have
a fully functional unit tonight...

Cyndi
--
Cyndi Smith