Networker

Re: [Networker] restore speeds on NT4.0 with Legato 6.xx

2002-10-25 07:09:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] restore speeds on NT4.0 with Legato 6.xx
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:10:00 -0400
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:37:05 -0400, Chad Poist <chad.poist AT ALEXUS DOT COM>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>anyone have any estimates on how fast you can do a restore across a network
>using legato?  I'm just curious what other people get, I think I get about
>3-6GB per hour, but it might be faster.
>
>Thank you,
>Chad

restoring files to a compaq3000 (NT4 and NTFS) with a 500MHz processor and
raid5 disks (if the rest of your system is not being a bottleneck) we
achieve ~60,000 files per hour when the file are <200KB and for files
>300MB we hit the ATM155 bottleneck (12-14MB/s). Increases in cpu speed and
disk speeds improves throughput but not that much. Multiple cpus in the
client slowed things down by 50% unless the client was tied to a single cpu
when it was only 75% slower. Last access update and 8.3 filenames (on by
default) should slow things down but we've not tested this yet. Other
factors such as large numbers of files in a folder , long file names
(particularly if 8.3 files are on and the 1st 8 characters of lots of files
in a folder are the same ) ,slow disks and/or slow controllers will all
slow restores down.
Basically on file restores there will always be a point where writing
directory/folder information on files take longer than tranfering the data
in a file and it can be surprising how large a file is to be included in
the "small files take longer to restore" adage.