Networker

Re: [Networker] expansion plans

2002-10-24 12:33:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] expansion plans
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:35:54 -0400
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Steve Lee wrote:

> Hi. I have been using Networker to backup 20 Solaris clients for a few
> years. We have one library, do a little manual cloning, a very vanilla
> setup. I have been asked to plan for backing up 3,000 windows clients next
> year. These are desktops and laptops running 98, 2000, XP.
>
> Do I just order a JUMBO library, 3,000 client licenses and hope for the
> best? Is anyone working in a similar environment willing to share
> experiences? I'm comfortable with Networker and Solaris but if I need to go
> to a different platform or a different software so be it.
>
> I welcome all suggestions.

There's no "just" when shopping around for a tape library. We spent at
least four months deciding which tape library and which media to purchase.
You also need to decide how many tape drives to have installed in your new
tape library. This decision rests heavily on the total amount of data you
anticipate needing to back up.

As for Legato licenses, you'll need a license for the tape library because
tape library licenses are based on the library's number of slots. You'll
also need two licenses; one for Windows server backups and one for Windows
workstation backups. This is in addition to licensing for 3,000 client
connections.

You also have to look at the capability of your existing backup server
to see if its up to spec for handling so much backup activity. Your
backup server will almost certain need additional disk space in order
to house the larger saveset database that will no doubt be needed in
your new backup environment.