Networker

Re: [Networker] Resolution: Re: [Networker] What is the best way to backup 100,000 files in asingle subdirectory on a W2K Client

2002-10-18 08:25:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Resolution: Re: [Networker] What is the best way to backup 100,000 files in asingle subdirectory on a W2K Client
From: Kenneth Larsen <Kenneth.Larsen AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:10:43 +0200
Interesting solution :o)

I have checked out what effect the change journal on w2k appears to have on
the one sever I use it on.
and here are what I found in the savegrp.log the datasize is not the same,
but the # of files are larger,

Oct 12 03:15:21 ldap1.dk:   tsproj: d:\Toldprojektet          level=full,
638 MB 00:27:46 203393 files

Oct 18 01:42:57 ldap1.dk:   tsproj: d:\Toldprojektet          level=incr,
23 MB 00:00:57    400 files

I know it not possible to use my data as evidence in your enviorment.
I don't know if u have tried to enable change journal and compared results
but I would say it's worth a try.

regards
Kenneth Larsen
Steria
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
kel AT steria DOT dk - 44506261 - 26306261

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Calvin Thomas         |
|         |           <calvin.thomas@NACALOG|
|         |           ISTICS.COM>           |
|         |           Sent by: Legato       |
|         |           NetWorker discussion  |
|         |           <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL DOT TE|
|         |           MPLE.EDU>             |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           17-10-2002 22:32      |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           Calvin Thomas         |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->

  |       To:       NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
                                        |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  [Networker] Resolution: Re: [Networker] What is the best
way to backup         100,000 files |
  |        in asingle subdirectory on a W2K Client

    I have a solution that works for me.
    Tar.exe (for dos) will create a 4.5GB tar file in another directory in
    2
hours.  Oddly enough, it was written to run under DOS3.0, but it still
works.  It only uses 100KB of memory, and 3% of the processor time to read,
and merge all 100,000 files into a single file.
    Kind of makes you wonder what the Networker client is
doing..............
To be fair, the tar command can't update the existing archive because of an
"out of memory" error, but I can delete and create a new tar archive every
day in two hours, so I don't mind very much.  I have created a batch file
delete the existing archive, and create the new one and scheduled it to run
before the nightly backup.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and help on this issue.  If anyone has any
further questions or thoughts feel free to contact me.
Thanks

Calvin E. Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics.