Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and hostnames (was Re: [Networker] Client always saves as level Full?)

2002-10-17 05:37:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and hostnames (was Re: [Networker] Client always saves as level Full?)
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:37:53 -0400
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:33:23 -0500, Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:59:50AM -0400, Terry Lemons wrote:
>> Make sure that the NetWorker client resource for this client includes
ALL of
>> the aliases for that client, including just the client name, as well as
the
>> fully-qualified domain name, and any others.  If you have multiple
network
>> interfaces in this client, make sure you add the short and long (FQDN)
names
>> for all of those interfaces.
>
>That's one of the things that I'm really beginning to dislike about
>Networker -- its heavy use of host based authentication.  With the
>heavier use of dynamic IP pools in our environment (wireless, VPNs, as
>well as other complicated scenarios like machines with multiple
>interfaces/in multiple subnets, etc.,) tying a single hostname back to a
>computer is difficult!  Dynamic DNS sounds like it would be the solution
>-- except it's not.  Even when I setup a client with its dynamic DNS as
>the main client name, I still need to put its actual hostnames in the
>aliases field.  (Which works if the hostnames it uses are semi-static --
>in a truly dynamic environment, it'd be impossible to account for that.)
>
>(And while I'm ranting about Legato's hostname dependencies, I don't see
>why the Windows client needs to know the NETBIOS name as well as all the
>possible DNS names.  Grrrrr.)
>
>It makes me envious of the TSM environments, where clients are
>configured with a client name and a password and that's it -- the
>computer's hostname is not as big of a deal.  Can someone confirm this
>type of functionality is slated for a future version of Networker?

Host name based authentication has for a long time been criticised as one
of NetWorker's weak points, particularly by Legato's competitors. Legato
have listened to these critcisms and are introducing a better system in NW7
(I think it's Kerberos). Contact your Legato SE for more details, that's
what they're there for (right Wes, Pip etc?)