Networker

[Networker] Networker and hostnames (was Re: [Networker] Client always saves as level Full?)

2002-10-16 16:33:26
Subject: [Networker] Networker and hostnames (was Re: [Networker] Client always saves as level Full?)
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:33:23 -0500
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:59:50AM -0400, Terry Lemons wrote:
> Make sure that the NetWorker client resource for this client includes ALL of
> the aliases for that client, including just the client name, as well as the
> fully-qualified domain name, and any others.  If you have multiple network
> interfaces in this client, make sure you add the short and long (FQDN) names
> for all of those interfaces.

That's one of the things that I'm really beginning to dislike about
Networker -- its heavy use of host based authentication.  With the
heavier use of dynamic IP pools in our environment (wireless, VPNs, as
well as other complicated scenarios like machines with multiple
interfaces/in multiple subnets, etc.,) tying a single hostname back to a
computer is difficult!  Dynamic DNS sounds like it would be the solution
-- except it's not.  Even when I setup a client with its dynamic DNS as
the main client name, I still need to put its actual hostnames in the
aliases field.  (Which works if the hostnames it uses are semi-static --
in a truly dynamic environment, it'd be impossible to account for that.)

(And while I'm ranting about Legato's hostname dependencies, I don't see
why the Windows client needs to know the NETBIOS name as well as all the
possible DNS names.  Grrrrr.)

It makes me envious of the TSM environments, where clients are
configured with a client name and a password and that's it -- the
computer's hostname is not as big of a deal.  Can someone confirm this
type of functionality is slated for a future version of Networker?

Dave Mussulman