Networker

[Networker] Pools

2002-10-15 10:06:36
Subject: [Networker] Pools
From: Daniel Jerram <Daniel.Jerram AT MARLBOROUGH-STIRLING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:03:26 +0100
Hi Networkers.

We need some help!!!!

We currently have an 8 drive SDLT unit which backs up the trunck of our
data, however we need to use our tapes more efficently we seldom have many
full tapes during the week day evening backups which is a Level 1 although
it will use up to 8 tapes in one go due to the drive availibility.

We have therefore come to the idea about cloning the tapes and then deleting
the originals to ensure only the correct number of tapes are used.
We would then reuse the none cloned tapes again.

Now the problem we have is that the clone media does not keep the index
information so that when we delete the actual backup tape the none clone one
we loss the client index and if a restore was needed we'd have to scan a
tape in...... how bad is that!!!

So does anyone have any ideas how we could have a clone style pool which we
can clone too which then holds valid index information so that when we
delete the originals the index information is kept.

The Cloning operation is scripted but will not clone to a pool which isn't
clone status.

We are using Networker 6.1.2 now on Windows 2000 sp2.

Any help that is given would be a great help.

Many Thanks

Dan

____________________________
Dan Jerram
Disaster Recovery Analyst
Allen Jones House
Jessop Avenue
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL50 3SH
United Kingdom
+44 (0) 1242 547379 (Direct Line)
+44 (0) 1242 547100 (Fax)
____________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed.  Its contents are confidential and may
be protected in law.  Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may
be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us
immediately.

The contents of any attachments in this e-mail may contain software viruses,
which could damage your own computer system.  While Marlborough Stirling has
taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept
liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should carry out your own virus checking procedure before opening any
attachment.

Marlborough Stirling plc, Registered No. 3008820,
Allen Jones House, Jessop Avenue, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3SH
Tel: 01242 547000     Fax: 01242 547100
http://www.marlborough-stirling.com

The following companies are subsidiaries of Marlborough Stirling plc and are
registered in England and Wales at the above address:
Marlborough Stirling PLC, Registered No. 3008820
The Marlborough Stirling Group PLC, Registered No. 1855353
Marlborough Stirling Administration Limited, Registered No. 2341195
Metgem Limited, Registered No. 02341195