Networker

Re: [Networker] sybase and oracle backups

2002-10-11 21:07:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] sybase and oracle backups
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:06:59 -0700
On October 11, 2002 at 17:01, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> At 01:05 AM 10/11/02 , VERHAEGHE Koen (BMB) wrote:
> >You might want to take a look at BMC's SQL-Backtrack. Does sybase and
> >oracle backups, UNIX or NT, full and incrementals, on-line or off-line,
> >and to disk or to tape. We just bought an enterprise license and are
> >moving away from RMAN and exports to disks.
>
> For what it's worth, we're using PostgreSQL.  It supports hot backups
> without any external help.

So do oracle and sybase (and informix for that matter), and with
much greater flexibility than postgres (which is an all or nothing
SQL dump of the database or table).  What they are discussing
here is a different kind of networker integration with a product
that provides a plethora of options, not basic functionality.

Byron