Networker

[Networker] large filesystem restores

2002-10-07 15:57:04
Subject: [Networker] large filesystem restores
From: rick pim <rick AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:56:11 -0400
environment: solaris 5.8, networker 6.1.1

in order to speed up backups on a large filesystem, directories are
arranged as follows:
  /export/home/home0
  /export/home/home1
  /export/home/home9

this permits full backups to be spread over several nights. fine.

last week we had to restore the filesystem. the person doing it used
recover and simply started a single recover at /export/home. as could
be predicted, this took a long time. the main bottleneck appears to
have been the single restore thread using a single tape drive at a
time. presumably we could have saved time by starting (say) two
recovers at once, manually spreading them over the directories to be
restored.

the question is: is there any way to tell legato to (automatically)
use more devices for a restore? is there any way to get recover to be
a bit smarter wrt resource utilization?

rp

rick pim                                           rick AT post.queensu DOT ca
information technology services                          (613) 533-2242
queen's university, kingston
"It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool."