Networker

Re: [Networker] Save Set dependencies

2002-10-02 17:45:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save Set dependencies
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:45:37 -0500
On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:23:03PM -0400, David Fields wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm new to the list and Networker, and I've run across
> something that is kind of confusing.  Our system is set up with a 4 week
> browse/retention policy, using a Dell/Adic Scalar 100 tape changer with 4
> LTO drives and 36 slots.  I'm seeing some wierd behavior where our tapes
> are not being recycled/expired as I would expect.  I've found some
> references to some thing which explain a few of them, but not all.
>
> Does anyone know of any scripts to build a list of the tape dependencies
> based on the browse/retention polices for save sets under Network 6.1.1?
> I've tried looking on this and other lists, but either I'm not using the
> right keywords, or this hasn't been done before.
>
> For example, if I have the following backup "scenario"
>
> Client Level Tape    Tape Dependencies
> C1     Full  T1      T1
> C2     Full  T2      T2
> C1     Incr  T3      T3 dep -> T1
> C2     Incr  T3      T3 dep -> T2

I haven't found a way to do this easily/quickly from the command line,
but I am interested in such a script.  Every once in a while, I'll miss
flagging a client as missing a weekly or monthly backup.  When this
happens, the dependency chain gets longer and my tape retention policies
are effected.

I usually run "mminfo -q \!ssrecycle,\!recoverable,volume=Daily.043" to
see which client/saveset/dates are still on the tape, and then go to the
unix nwadmin Indexes view for that client to "visualize" the dependency.
A view similar to the Index view from nwadmin in a scriptable form would
be great -- let us know if you learn anything.

Dave