Networker

[Networker] Save Set dependencies

2002-10-02 12:33:03
Subject: [Networker] Save Set dependencies
From: David Fields <david.fields AT ACS-INC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:23:03 -0400
Hi everyone, I'm new to the list and Networker, and I've run across
something that is kind of confusing.  Our system is set up with a 4 week
browse/retention policy, using a Dell/Adic Scalar 100 tape changer with 4
LTO drives and 36 slots.  I'm seeing some wierd behavior where our tapes
are not being recycled/expired as I would expect.  I've found some
references to some thing which explain a few of them, but not all.

Does anyone know of any scripts to build a list of the tape dependencies
based on the browse/retention polices for save sets under Network 6.1.1?
I've tried looking on this and other lists, but either I'm not using the
right keywords, or this hasn't been done before.

For example, if I have the following backup "scenario"

Client Level Tape    Tape Dependencies
C1     Full  T1      T1
C2     Full  T2      T2
C1     Incr  T3      T3 dep -> T1
C2     Incr  T3      T3 dep -> T2

If I understand everything correctly, this is how Network does decides
which tapes are "recyclable" or not, based on the browse/retention polices
(I left them out in the above example).  This is obviously a very
simplified example, and this could become very complex depending on the
number of clients, policies, pools, etc.

Also, I know this could get messy really quick because there no way to
predict what tape is going to be used for any given backup, but there
should be a way to produce the list and then make it somewhat human
readable.  This would be a big help in determining if browse/retention
policies are set right, and if Networker is expiring the tapes as correctly
(which is not obvious most of the time because of all these inter-tape
dependencies).

If anyone has come across a way to help manage/track this please let me
know.  I'm sure there might be other people out there that might also
benefit.

Thanks,

David

p.s.  Does anyone know how to get the Dell 136T tape library to use the
extra slot that is on one of the columns as the "cleaning" slot?  I hate
having to use one of my real slots for the cleaning tape, but so far I
haven't been able to get it to take the tape any other way.